Picture Book – March 2020
Between English classes, job interviews and missing their home in Syria, Salma’s mama hasn’t smiled much lately. A homemade Syrian meal might cheer her up…but Salma doesn’t know the recipe, or what to call the vegetables in English, or where to find the right spices! Luckily, the staff and other newcomers in her Welcome Home have all kinds of skills to share. But even with their help, can Salma cook the Shami Foul before Mama gets home?
Awards and Best Of List
- Salma The Syrian Chef is Nautilus Book Award Winner in both the Children’s Books category and the Special Honors Award: Best of Children’s.
- Salma the Syrian Chef is nominated for the Chocolate Lily Award celebrating children books in BC.
- Salma The Syrian Chef won The Middle East Book Award 2020, presented the the Middle East Outreach Council.
- Salma The Syrian Chef is nominated to the 🥇 2021 Ontario Libraries Association’s Blue Spruce Award 🥇, part of their Forest of Reading initiative. For more information, click here.
- Salma the Syrian Chef is nominated to the 🥇 INDIE Award 2020 🥇. For more information, click here.
- Salma The Syrian Chef is one of KIRKUS BEST BOOKS OF 2020.
- Salma the Syrian Chef is one of SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL BEST BOOKS OF 2020.
- Salma the Syrian Chef is one of the Best Bets Top Ten Books by the Ontario Libraries Association.
- Salma the Syrian Chef is nominated for the Christie Harris Illustrated Children’s Literature Prize – Part of the BC and Yukon Book Prizes.
“Salma is deeply relatable in her determination, frustration, and sensitivity, especially in moments when things do not go as planned”Quill and Quire – Starred Review ⭐️
“This beautiful story grasps diversity, exploring resilience, love, friendship, and the meaning of home.”Kirkus Reviews – Starred Review ⭐️
“Ramadan writes with poetic immediacy about displacement, home, and family.”Publishers Weekly – Starred Review ⭐️
“In his picture-book debut, activist, author, and former refugee Ramadan builds a heartfelt story of culture, community, and love around the Syrian crisis.”Booklist – Starred Review ⭐️
“This poignant story, and Bron’s lively illustrations, will definitely touch young readers.”The Globe and Mail